Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Attention all MFA students!

At last I finally found a great blog site! I had been searching for awhile as part of my homework assignment. Many of the blog sites I visited didn't have many posts, didn't have interesting things to say, or appeared confusing. I typed in some key phrases such as 'women blogs', 'writer blogs', or 'african-american women blogs'. But somehow I ended up at a site that had a listing of hundreds of blog sites based on categories. I clicked on 'creative writing' and stumbled upon a very insightful and interesting blog page. Its called 'After the MFA', the link is www.afterthemfa.com
It's written by a guy named Gordon. His blog goes as far back as July 2006. Some of his blogs include a really good interview he did with author Edward P. Jones (author of 'The Known World'), writing tips, life after receiving his MFA, and comments. Currently I am in my second year in an MFA program. I think I'm on the right track however after reading some of the posts on 'afterthemfa.com', I thought about what exactly I want to do and if I am taking the necessary steps. There's a list called 'Seven Things I Learned in a Creative Writing MFA Program' - it's in the July 2006 archives. I think every MFA student should read it, if for nothing else to find it humorous and not to take workshops too seriously, to realize their voice in their writings, having thick skin against criticism, and the importance of revision. I also read something on the blog about a list of things that Gordon (the blogger) had completed or accomplished since receiving his MFA and a list of things he had not done. It puts it all in perspective, even though I haven't received my MFA degree yet. I have things I want to do and I can't wait until I have my degree, I need to act now and start seeking opportunities that allow me to grow and pursue my love of writing. Even though I have a full time job, I can't expect to finish my MFA program in the near future and then -- immediately out of the clear blue sky I'll have my dream job writing or teaching or both. I need to be proactive and somehow juggle my life which includes being a wife and mother, working full time, and going to school so that I can be ready when my day comes of accepting my MFA diploma. It's a scary thought...what am I going to do? What if nothing happens? While I ponder, I would definitely suggest that all MFA students check out the blog site www.afterthemfa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment